
Lee (left) gives his input during the briefing.
KUCHING (Aug 21): The long-awaited RM150 million remedial works at the Sungai Sarawak Barrage should proceed without further delay, says Transport Minister Dato Sri Lee Kim Shin.
In a statement, he said the federal government had already announced and committed the allocation for the project, which is aimed at addressing riverbed scouring at the barrage area.
“The proposed remedial works have been pending for quite some time. The federal government has already announced and committed RM150 million for this project, and we hope the relevant federal agencies can expedite its implementation so that the works can proceed without further delay,” he said.
The statement was issued after Lee made a working visit to the Sungai Sarawak Barrage on Thursday, where he was briefed by the Sarawak Rivers Board (SRB) on the status of the proposed remedial works, as well as other ongoing and proposed projects involving the facility.
According to Lee, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim had on March 13 announced a RM150 million federal allocation for the scouring remedial works.
Lee said it was subsequently agreed that the Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) would take over as the implementing agency, with the allocation to be channelled through DID Malaysia.
He added that the latest proposal for the remedial works had since been submitted by DID Sarawak to DID Malaysia for consideration and approval.
“This is an important project for the continued safe and reliable operation of the Sungai Sarawak Barrage. We hope the necessary process can be expedited and the project implemented as soon as possible,” he said.
Lee stressed that the barrage was critical infrastructure for Kuching and its surrounding areas, particularly for flood mitigation and water management.
He said ensuring its continued safe and reliable operation must remain a priority.
The Sungai Sarawak Barrage commenced operations on Dec 1, 1997 as part of the Sungai Sarawak Regulation Scheme (SSRS), a major flood mitigation and water management initiative for Kuching and its surrounding areas.
The barrage comprises five radial gates, a navigation shiplock and a four-lane bridge.